Sunday, April 17, 2011

The Storm

This has been a rough week for us. I was really questioning God and His purpose yesterday. Just a few days ago, I was praising Him for how much He has moved in our lives. But then, a bump. Then, a bigger bump. I found myself in despair again. Questioning if I was truly following His will. Funny how we can be so sure when we see Him moving, only to doubt when the devil attacks us. Does our faith really depend on the devil leaving us alone? I bet he hopes so. Today though it occurred to me. If we are facing opposition from the devil, then shouldn't that only confirm where we are?!

I don't think the devil cares if you go to church, sing half-hearted praise, and ignore God the rest of the week. I don't think he cares if we, under conviction, feel bad for the things we have done in life. No, I think he scoffs at our shallow prayers of selfishness and empty promises never to be fulfilled. We are no threat to him and his fallen kingdom. But, when we SEEK God's will, when we COMMIT ourselves, when we live to SERVE Him, then the devil starts to pay us more attention. See, when we die to ourselves and get FILLED with the Holy Spirit then it's not US just going through the motions anymore. It's God in us. Using us for His purposes. And He has got some MIGHTY purposes! The devil hates when we become followers of Jesus. You can serve any other god and he could care less. When you start praying for God's will, then ACTING on it, you become a target.

I know that it's hard to praise Him and to pray unselfishly when you're going through hard times. It's easy to give in to the pull of depression and hopelessness. But He is mighty and faithful. He will carry you in your pain. He will give you peace and rest, even in the storm. He will never forsake His people! In hard times, we should cling to Him even more. Give Him your burdens and worries. Give Him your pain and your hurt. Ask Him for direction. Cry out to Him. Just let Him hold you for a while. Let Him love you and restore your faith.

No comments:

Post a Comment