Sunday, January 16, 2011

Good and Faithful Servant

His lord said unto him, Well done, thou good and faithful servant: thou hast been faithful over a few things, I will make thee ruler over many things: enter thou into the joy of thy lord. Matthew 25:21
   *Read in context here Matthew 25

Oh, to hear those words! To stand in front of our Lord and Savior and hear Him apply this term to you, good and faithful servant! Surely, there is no reward greater than this. What more can we offer our Lord than to serve him completely. To put Him above our wants and desires; hopes and dreams. To see that we gave all we had to The One who sacrificed all for us! Today at church, our preacher asked the question: If you were to stand before Him today would you hear these words applied to you? I have to admit, I don't believe I would.

Earlier this week I was studying the seven churches in the book of Revelation. I truly believe that if we are honest with ourselves, through God's help, we can place ourselves within one of these churches. It's easy for us to feel good about the things we do for God, harder to realize that it's not about what we do at all. The first church spoken about is commended on their works. They seem to really have a desire to do the will of God, but Jesus said that they had left their first love....Him. This reminds me of another verse:

 Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works? And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity, Matthew 7:22-24.

We can do more than any other before us, but if Jesus isn't our first love those works are done in vain. You have to serve in the prayer closet before you can serve in public. Only then can He reveal to us His will and purpose for our lives. I would hate to learn that though I spent my time doing good things that I missed what He called me to do. This isn't exactly what I was hoping to write about when I sat down today. I was actually wanting to admit all the ways that I don't do enough for Him. I guess God decided to remind me, again, what is most important.

No comments:

Post a Comment